Introduction to Brick Slips
Brick slips, also known as brick tiles or brick veneers, are thin slices of brick often used to replicate the appearance of a traditional brick wall. They offer a lightweight and flexible alternative to traditional brickwork, making them ideal for both interiors and exteriors.
Why Measure in m²?
Measuring in square meters (m²) is standard for wall coverings and flooring. It provides an understanding of the area that needs covering, helping in estimating the quantity of material required.
The Mathematics Behind the Calculation
Understanding Brick Slip Size
To start, one needs to understand the size of the brick slip. Typically, a standard UK brick slip might measure approximately 215mm in length and 65mm in height. However, sizes can vary.
Calculating Brick Slips Needed
To determine how many brick slips you’ll need for a square meter:
- Calculate the area of one brick slip: Length x Height. For the standard size: 215mm x 65mm = 13,975 mm² or 0.013975 m².
- Divide 1 m² by the area of one brick slip: 1 m² ÷ 0.013975 m² = approximately 71.5.Thus, you’ll need around 72 brick slips for 1 m², assuming no gaps between them.
- However If you add the 10mm gap for the mortar,the calculation is 60 brick slips for 1m² (which is 2 boxes of our slips)
Factoring in Waste
Always add a waste factor for cuts, breaks, or mistakes. A standard allowance might be 5-10%. For our example, 60 slips + 10% = 66. So, ordering 70 brick slips per m² would be prudent.
Practical Application Tips
- Always double-check measurements.
- Remember, the mortar gap between brick slips can influence the number required.
- Always order a few extra brick slips. It’s better to have a little surplus than to run short.
Importance of Accurate Calculation
- Cost-efficiency by not over-ordering.
- Reduced wastage.
- Smooth installation without unnecessary halts.
While brick slips provide an aesthetic and convenient solution for wall finishes, accurate calculation is key to a successful project. By understanding the size of your brick slips and the area you intend to cover, you can ensure a seamless and efficient installation.
- Can I use brick slips on the floor?
While brick slips are primarily for walls, there are specific types designed for flooring. Ensure you get the right kind, the only range we offer available for use on floors is our “Moda Range“.
- How thick are brick slips?
Typically, they’re about 20mm (nominal) in thickness, but it can vary.
- Do I need a special adhesive for brick slips?
Yes, a strong adhesive designed for brick slips is recommended, our Rapid Set Adhesive is what we recommend as its been tried and tested over serveral years of use with our products.
- How long do brick slips last?
With proper installation and care, they can last for decades.
- Can I install brick slips outdoors?
Absolutely! Just ensure they’re installed correctly and you use the appropriate adhesive and mortar to ensure prefect installation methods.